Masala omelette is an Indian style omelette using eggs and vegetables and flavored with spices. I usually make omelettes with salt and pepper for seasoning. But for weekends I love to prepare this masala omelette for a change. It is easy to make and perfect for a filling breakfast.
Serve with a couple of slices of bread and you are ready to start your day with a healthy breakfast as eggs are protein rich and you also get nutrition from vegetables added. I sometimes end up preparing this omelette as a side dish too. Lets move on to the easy recipe for indian masala omelette.
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 2 tbsp finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 green chilli
- 3 tbsp chopped capsicums / bell peppers / shimla mirch
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1-1/2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves / cilantro
- 1 tbsp oil / butter
- Salt to taste
- Finely chop onion, tomato and coriander leaves. Mince the green chilli.
- Chop bell peppers into small cubes.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk the eggs till it is frothy.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and garam masala powder and again whisk the eggs.
- Finally add the chopped vegetables - onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, coriander leaves and green chillies and mix well.
- Heat a small pan and grease it with oil / butter.
- Reduce the flame to low and pour the whisked eggs mixture into the pan. Gently tilt the pan so that the egg mixture is spread on the pan.
- Cover with a lid and let the eggs cook on low flame. Once it is cooked on both sides, transfer to a serving plate.
- Masala omelette is ready to be served.
I have used a combination green and yellow bell peppers. You can use anyone you have at hand. Or you could even avoid the capsicums.
I like the flavor of green chillies in this omelette. You could even substitute it with red chilli powder.