Onion tomato chutney / vengayam thakkali chutney recipe – a quick and easy South Indian chutney using onions and tomatoes. This spicy and tangy chutney is easy to make and goes well as a side dish for idli and dosa and even chapati. Coconut based chutneys like mint coconut chutney are one of my favorites. But when I have to make a quick chutney, especially when there is no coconut available at home, I go for a simple chutney like this onion tomato chutney. It is a good mix of spicy and tangy and tastes delicious.
The recipe for onion tomato chutney is very easy and uses simple everyday ingredients. Urad dal gives a nice nutty texture while tomatoes and tamarind give a tangy taste to the chutney.
Both tomatoes and onions are a good source of vitamin C. Serve this healthy chutney for breakfast or dinner. For other chutney recipes do check out spinach chutney | cabbage chutney | red chilli coconut chutney . Lets move on to the recipe for easy onion tomato chutney.
Onion Tomato Chutney | Vengayam Thakkali Chutney Recipe
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 2 tomatoes large
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 dry red chillies
- 2 tsp urad dal / black gram dal (without skin)
- marble-sized piece of tamarind
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- A few curry leaves
- 1 tsp oil
- Chop the onions, tomatoes and ginger.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan. Add urad dal and dry red chillies. Fry till dal turns brown in color.
- Then add the chopped onions and ginger. Fry till onions turn soft and the edges turn light brown in color.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes along with salt. Fry the tomatoes on a medium flame till they are cooked and are mashed and the raw smell of tomatoes goes. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, remove from heat. Let the mixture cool down.
- Blend the onion-tomato mixture along with tamarind to a fine paste by adding little water. Transfer the chutney to a bowl.
- Finally for the seasoning, heat oil in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds splutter, add the curry leaves. Fry for a couple of seconds and remove from heat.
- Pour the seasoning over the chutney and mix well.
- Onion tomato chutney is ready to be served.