Here is a simple and flavorful dry curry recipe using drumstick and potatoes. Drumsticks are popularly used in South Indian cuisine and are mainly added to sambar. They are so flavorful that a simple curry can be enhanced by adding this vegetable.
Drumsticks are rich in Vitamin C. Coming to this recipe, drumsticks and potatoes make a great combination. This poriyal can be served as an accompaniment to rice or rotis.
Lets move on to the recipe for easy drumstick potato curry.
Drumstick Potato Curry Recipe
- 2 drumsticks / murungakkai
- 1 onion, large
- 1 potato, large
- 2 tomatoes, medium-sized
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds / sombu
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- A few curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Chop the drumsticks into 2 inch pieces.
- Chop potatoes into small pieces.
- Chop onions and tomatoes finely.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and when they splutter, add fennel seeds and curry leaves.
- Saute for a couple of seconds and add chopped onions and crushed garlic.
- When onions turn light brown, add chopped tomatoes.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Fry till the tomatoes turn soft and mashed.
- Now add the chopped drumsticks and potatoes and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add a cup of water and let this cook till the drumsticks and potatoes turn soft and then remove from heat.
- Drumstick potato curry is ready to be served.