Aloo gajar matar sabzi recipe – healthy and delicious North Indian style dry curry of potatoes, carrots and peas with spices. Green peas is one of my favorite vegetables, especially when I can get them fresh. Now that fresh green peas are available in this season, I had to try this curry. This is a quick and easy recipe that can be prepared in minutes. Simple Indian spices are used and additionally, kasuri methi or dry fenugreek leaves are also used, which gives a nice flavor to this aloo gajar matar sabzi.
I have used pressure cooker to make this curry in a jiffy, but you could instead use a kadai or pan to make it. You can use substitute frozen peas for fresh ones. I love simple and quick sabzis like mushroom peas stir fry or gobi sabzi or aloo bhindi sabzi. A very simple dish to make, this potato, peas and carrot dry curry goes well as a side dish for rotis or rice.
This healthy curry has carrots which are a great source of vitamin A while peas and potatoes are a good source of vitamin C. Lets move on to the recipe for easy aloo gajar matar sabzi.
Aloo Gajar Matar Sabzi | Potato Carrot and Peas Dry Curry recipe
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup matar / green peas ( fresh / frozen )
- 1 1/2 cups potato cubes
- 1 onion, small
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp kasuri methi / dry fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder / dry mango powder
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Finely chop onions and garlic. If using fresh peas, shell them and set them aside.
- Peel the skin of potatoes and cut them into bite-sized cubes. Similarly, peel the skin of carrots and cut them into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds change color, add the finely chopped onions and garlic. Fry till onions turn light brown in color.
- Then add the potato cubes. Add all the dry spice powders along with salt.
- Mix well and fry for 2 minutes. Then add the chopped carrots and green peas. Mix well.
- Finally crush kasuri methi with the palms of your hands and add it to the cooker. Add 1/2 cup water and mix well.
- Pressure cook the curry for 2 whistles. Remove from heat. Once the pressure has released from the cooker, open the cooker and gently mix the curry.
- Aloo gajar matar sabzi is now ready to be served.
2. If you don't have amchur powder, skip it and instead add a dash of lemon juice after the curry is cooked.
how to make aloo gajar matar sabzi step by step
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and once they crackle, add finely chopped onions and garlic. Fry till onions turn light brown in color and add the potato cubes.
- Add the spice powders and salt. Mix well and fry for two minutes. Now add the chopped carrots.
- Add green peas. Finally add crushed kasuri methi. Add 1/2 cup water, mix well.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles and remove from heat. Once the pressure has released, open the cooker and gently mix the sabzi. Serve aloo gajar matar sabzi hot with chapatis or rice.