Bhindi sabzi is a very simple and easy to prepare dry okra curry. You will notice that there are not many masalas in the ingredients list but I assure you it will still taste good.
This sabzi goes well with rotis or as a side dish for rice.
Okra is a nutritious vegetable and to get the full benefit of this vegetable, you should not overcook it. It is rich in vitamins and also helps in preventing constipation. Lets move on to the recipe for easy bhindi sabzi.
Bhindi Sabzi | Vendakkai Poriyal Recipe
- 1.5 cups bhindi /okra /vendakkai (thinly sliced)
- 1 onion, large
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- A pinch of asafoetida / hing
- Salt to taste
- A few curry leaves
- Slice the onions and the green chillies.
- You could increase the quantity of chillies if you want the sabzi more spicy.
- Chop the bhindi finely into thin slices.
- Heat 1.5 tbsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and asafoetida powder.
- Once mustard seeds crackle, add the sliced onions, curry leaves and sliced green chillies.
- Fry for a just a few minutes. Then add the okra and fry for a few minutes.
- Add salt and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Keep stirring at regular intervals till the okra gets cooked and becomes soft.
- Bhindi sabzi is ready to be served as a side dish for rice or rotis.