Bhindi sabzi is a very simple and easy to prepare dry okra curry. You will notice that there are not many masalas in the ingredients list but I assure you it will still taste good. Have this sabzi with rotis or as a side dish for rice. Okra is a nutritious vegetable and to get the full benefit of this vegetable, you should not overcook it. It is rich in vitamins and also helps in preventing constipation.
Bhindi Sabzi | Vendakkai Poriyal Recipe
- 1.5 cups bhindi /okra /vendakkai (thinly sliced)
- 1 onion, large
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- A pinch of asafoetida / hing
- Salt to taste
- A few curry leaves
- Slice the onions and the green chillies.
- You could increase the quantity of chillies if you want the sabzi more spicy.
- Chop the bhindi finely into thin slices.
- Heat 1.5 tbsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and asafoetida powder.
- Once mustard seeds crackle, add the sliced onions, curry leaves and sliced green chillies.
- Fry for a just a few minutes. Then add the okra and fry for a few minutes.
- Add salt and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Keep stirring at regular intervals till the okra gets cooked and becomes soft.
- Bhindi sabzi is ready to be served as a side dish for rice or rotis.