Khamang kakdi / kakdi chi koshimbir recipe – a delicious Maharashtrian cucumber salad. This quick salad is easy to make. Khamang kakdi has nutty peanuts giving a nice crunch while coconut adds a slight sweetness to the salad. The final touch of tempering the salad with a few spices, gives a nice taste to it. I love the simplicity of this dish and is a quick one to put together especially when the weather is hot or you want a quick healthy snack!
I occasionally make a quick carrot salad. But with temperatures soaring, I wanted to try a salad with cucumbers. I also had some freshly grated coconut and peanuts available. The result was this quick, refreshing and light khamang kakdi salad that I had as a snack.
The humble cucumber is elevated in taste with this cucumber salad. You will love the crunch from roasted peanuts and cucumbers in the salad. Make this quick salad as an appetizer or have it as a healthy snack.
Did you know that fresh cucumbers consist of 96% water! They are low in calories and have a little amount of vitamin C. Cucumbers are refreshing to have during hot summer months. Lets move on to the recipe for easy khamang kakdi.
Khamang Kakdi | Kakdi Chi Koshimbir | Maharashtrian Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 1 cup chopped cucumbers / kheera / kakdi
- 1 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 1 tbsp peanuts / groundnuts, dry-roasted
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1/2 tsp oil
- Peel the cucumbers and finely chop them. Transfer the chopped cucumbers to a bowl.
- De-seed and chop the green chilli. Rinse and finely chop the coriander leaves.
- Crush the roasted peanuts coarsely with a mortar and pestle.
- Add the grated coconut, crushed peanuts, chopped green chillies to the cucumbers and mix well.
- Heat oil in a small kadai or pan. Add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add cumin seeds. Once cumin seeds change color slightly, remove from heat. Add this tempering to the salad. Finally add salt and the freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix well.
- Khamang kakdi is now ready to be served.