Thengai aval is a quick flattened rice upma flavored with coconut. Flattened rice doesn’t require much cooking time and is one of the best options for a quick fix breakfast or snack.
It is high in fibre and rich in proteins.
This upma is mildly spiced and is very easy to prepare.
Do try this quick and easy coconut aval recipe.
Thengai Aval | Coconut Poha Recipe
Coconut Poha – Thengai Aval recipe
- 1 1/2 cups aval ( poha / beaten rice / flattened rice )
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp broken urad dal ( ulutham paruppu )
- 1 tsp chana dal ( kadalai paruppu / split bengal gram dal )
- 2 green chillies
- A few curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida
- A few coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- If you are using thick variety of rice flakes, wash it and then soak it for a few minutes till it becomes soft.
- For the thinner variety of rice flakes, you can just wash it and use it in the recipe immediately.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add asafoetida, urad dal and chana dal.
- When dals turn brown, add chopped green chillies and curry leaves and give a quick stir.
- Add the grated coconut and fry for a minute.
- Finally add the rice flakes and salt and mix well. Stir fry for a couple of minutes and switch off the stove.
- Garnish thengai aval upma with chopped coriander leaves and serve.