Thengai aval is a quick flattened rice upma flavored with coconut. Flattened rice doesn’t require much cooking time and is one of the best options for a quick fix breakfast or snack.
This upma is mildly spiced and is very easy to prepare.
Do try this quick and easy coconut aval recipe.
Thengai Aval | Coconut Poha Recipe
- 1.5 cups aval / poha / beaten rice / flattened rice
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp broken urad dal / ulutham paruppu
- 1 tsp chana dal / kadalai paruppu / split bengal gram dal
- 2 green chillies
- A few curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida
- A few coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- If you are using thick variety of rice flakes, wash it and then soak it for a few minutes till it becomes soft.
- For the thinner variety of rice flakes, you can just wash it and use it in the recipe immediately.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add asafoetida, urad dal and chana dal.
- When dals turn brown, add chopped green chillies and curry leaves and give a quick stir.
- Add the grated coconut and fry for a minute.
- Finally add the rice flakes and salt and mix well. Stir fry for a couple of minutes and switch off the stove.
- Garnish thengai aval upma with chopped coriander leaves and serve.