Vazhakkai / plantain bajji made with chickpeas flour is a great South Indian snack dish. I was in the mood to snack and decided to rustle up this yummy dish. But alas! there was very less chickpea flour left in the pantry. Then I decided to give a twist to this snack and instead make crispy raw banana fritters.
These crispy fritters tasted delicious and in no time there was none left. Do try these and enjoy them with a hot cup of tea or coffee!
Crispy Raw Banana Fritters Recipe
- 1 raw banana / vazhakkai / kaccha kela
- 2 tbsp chickpeas flour / kadalai maavu / bengal gram flour
- 2 tbsp maida / all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp chaat masala powder
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin of the bananas and cut them into thin slices.
- In a bowl, mix gram flour, rice flour, maida, salt, asafoetida and red chilli powder along with water to a batter of thin consistency.
- When the oil is hot, dip each banana slice into the batter and drop it gently into the oil.
- Fry till the fritters turn golden brown.
- Sprinkle chaat masala powder and give a good mix.
- Serve crispy raw banana fritters hot with tomato ketchup.