Murmura chivda recipe is a Maharashtrian crispy puffed rice snack. This mildly spiced snack is very easy to prepare and tastes crunchy and delicious. As a bonus it is also guilt free as there is very little oil used in this recipe.
Peanuts and roasted gram give extra crunch and flavor to the chivda. I have earlier posted puffed rice upma another snack using puffed rice.
As for this recipe, it makes for a great tea time snack and can be prepared in less than 10 minutes. Do try this totally addictive and easy murmura chivda recipe.
Murmura Chivda recipe
- 4 cups murmura / pori / puffed rice
- 1/4 cup peanuts / groundnuts
- 2 tbsp dalia / roasted gram / pottukadalai
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 green chillies
- A few curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- A pinch of sugar
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tbsp oil
- Slit the green chillies.
- Dry roast puffed rice in a pan till they turn crisp.
- Remove the dry roasted puffed rice from heat and transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pan, dry roast the peanuts.
- Remove the dry roasted peanuts from heat and transfer to the same bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds crackle, add green chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add roasted gram and fry till they turn light brown in color.
- Add turmeric powder. Stir for a couple of seconds. Switch off the flame.
- Then add the dry roasted puffed rice and peanuts.
- Add sugar and mix well .
- Let the mixture cool completely.
- Murmura chivda is ready to be served or stored in an air-tight container.