Spinach Potato Sandwich / Aloo Palak Sandwich recipe is a quick and easy sandwich recipe. It is filling and delicious and perfect for breakfast or as a snack. Potato and spinach make for a delicious combination and with just a few spices this sandwich can be put together quickly. While I sometimes just slice up some cucumbers and tomatoes and use them as a stuffing for a quick sandwich, they are not so filling especially for breakfast. So I end up making some bread sandwiches like capsicum tomato sandwich or carrot and paneer sandwich.
The recipe for this healthy and filling sandwich is very simple and requires boiled and mashed potatoes along with chopped spinach and only a few spices. The stuffing is prepared and spread between two toasted bread slices. Kids will love this sandwich that has one of the most favorite veggies, potatoes along with the goodness of spinach. While I used whole wheat bread to make this sandwich healthier, you could use white bread.
Spinach is loaded with vitamin C and vitamin A. Also, this leafy vegetable is a great source of iron and dietary fiber and is good to be included in our diet. Lets move on to the recipe for easy and healthy spinach potato sandwich.
How to make spinach potato sandwich step by step
- Pressure cook or boil the whole potatoes till they turn soft, remove their skins and mash the boiled potatoes and set aside. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and once they crackle, add finely chopped onions and garlic.
- Fry till the edges of the onions turn slightly dark brown in color.
- Now add the chopped spinach.
- Let the spinach cook till it turns soft and then add the spices along with salt.
- Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Finally add the mashed potatoes.
- Mix well to combine everything together for a couple of minutes and remove from heat.
- Toast the bread slices and spread this prepared spinach and potato stuffing on a toasted bread slice and cover with another slice. Aloo palak sandwich is ready to be served.
Spinach Potato Sandwich | Aloo Palak Sandwich Recipe
- 8-10 bread slices
- 1 1/2 cups spinach, chopped
- 2 potatoes, medium-sized
- 1 onion, small
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 1/2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook the potatoes with enough water for 3-4 whistles and once the pressure has released by itself, drain the water and once the potatoes have cooled down, remove the skin of the potatoes and mash the boiled potatoes. Set this mashed potato aside. Alternatively, you could boil the potaotes till they turn soft, remove the skin of the potatoes and mash them.
- Meanwhile, pick the spinach leaves and wash them thoroughly. Chop the spinach and set aside.
- Finely chop onion and garlic.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and once they turn a shade darker, add the finely chopped onions and garlic.
- Saute till the edges of the onions turn almost dark brown in color. Then add the chopped spinach. Cook the spinach till it turns soft.
- Now add the red chilli powder and garam masala powder along with salt. Mix well and fry for a mintue.
- Finally add the mashed potatoes. Mix well to combine everything together. Fry for a couple of minutes and remove from heat.
- Butter the bread slices and toast them in a tava or skillet. Spread this potato and spinach mixture on a bread slice and cover with another bread slice. Cut the sandwich into two halves and serve. Alternatively, you could use a sandwich maker to prepare the stuffed toast.
- Spinach potato sandwich is ready to be served.