A traditional South Indian breakfast recipe consists of steamed idlis served with sambar, chutney or milagai podi.
Here, I have served idlis with pudina chutney.
This is a healthy breakfast recipe.
Lets move on to the recipe for healthy idlis.
Idli | Idly Recipe
- 4 cups idli rice
- 1 cup urad dal
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds ( methi seeds )
- Salt to taste
- Soak the idli rice and methi seeds together for around 6-8 hrs. Soak the urad dal separately for the same time.
- Grind the urad dal to a smooth consistency by adding enough water.
- Remove the dal batter and keep aside.
- Now grind the rice and methi seeds mixture with enough water to a slightly coarse consistency.
- Mix the ground rice and dal mixture with salt.
- Keep it aside for fermentation overnight.
- Next morning, mix the batter and pour them into the idli moulds.
- Steam the idlis for around 10-12 minutes till done.
- Cool them and remove from the moulds.
- Serve idli with sambar or any chutney.