Lemon semiya upma / vermicelli pulihora is a simple tangy South Indian vermicelli recipe. Its one of my favorite breakfast dishes as it can be prepared very quickly and tastes yummy.
Lemon can really enhance the flavor of some dishes and this dish is one of them.
A lightly spiced dish, you could serve this lemon semiya for breakfast or dinner or even for a kid’s lunch box.
Lemon Semiya Upma | Vermicelli Lemon Bhath | Vermicelli Pulihora Recipe
- 1 cup vermicelli / semiya
- 3-4 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp broken urad dal
- A few curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida / hing
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast vermicelli till it turns golden brown.
- I avoided the step since I used the store-bought roasted vermicelli.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan. Add mustards seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add broken urad dal and asafoetida.
- Once dal changes color to brown, add curry leaves, chopped green chillies and grated ginger.
- Saute for a minute. Then add turmeric powder.
- Saute for a couple of seconds.
- Add 2 cups of water and salt and bring it to a boil.
- Once the water start boiling, add roasted vermicelli.
- Reduce the flame to medium and let the vermicelli cook.
- Keep stirring at regular intervals.
- Once all the water dries up, remove from heat.
- Now add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Lemon semiya upma is now ready to be served hot!.