When you want to cook up a meal in a hurry, then semiya upma is the dish that comes to one’s rescue. Quick and easy to prepare with minimal ingredients, you don’t need any accompaniment for this dish.
When you are bored of eating dosas and idlis for breakfast, this upma is a welcome change.
Rava upma / sooji upma is one of the most regularly prepared breakfast dish in South Indian homes. Next to this, semiya upma is another popular recipe that is prepared for breakfast or had as a snack.
If you have a sweet tooth, then semiya payasam is a dish that is equally easy to make and tastes delicious. For a quick and easy breakfast, do try this semiya upma.
Semiya Upma | Vermicelli Upma | Shavige Uppittu Recipe
Semiya Upma recipe
- 2 cups vermicelli ( semiya )
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 1 tomato medium-sized
- 2 green chilllies
- 1/2 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp chana dal / split bengal gram
- 1/2 tsp urad dal / split dehusked black gram
- A pinch of asafoetida
- A few curry leaves
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- In a pan, dry roast the vermicelli till it turns golden brown. Avoid this step if you are using store – bought roasted vermicelli.
- Heat oil in the same pan. Add mustard seeds and when they splutter, add chana dal, urad dal and asafoetida.
- Once the dal turns brown, add slit green chillies, chopped ginger and curry leaves and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Then add the chopped onions and fry till they turn soft.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and salt and fry for a minute.
- Add 3 cups water and once it boils, add the roasted vermicelli and stir it. Cover and cook till all the water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Semiya upma is ready to be served.