Green coconut chutney recipe / coconut coriander chutney – easy South Indian style chutney for idli, dosa or uttapam. This recipe has fresh coriander leaves blended with coconut and spices and is a perfect accompaniment to any South Indian breakfast or snacks. I love the lovely natural green color of this chutney and the wonderful aroma that coriander leaves impart to this chutney.
I usually make a simple white coconut chutney for breakfast, but when I have some fresh coriander / cilantro leaves in hand, I end up making this green coconut coriander chutney. This is not too often, because coriander leaves don’t remain fresh for long and by the time I decide to make a chutney out of it, I only get to see wilted leaves! You do need to use fresh leaves in this chutney for a nice aromatic chutney.
We generally garnish our curries with chopped coriander leaves which adds a nice flavor to the curry. These coriander or cilantro leaves are nutritious too as they are a great source of vitamin A, vitamin K and vitamin C as well as a good source of dietary fiber. The addition of these leaves makes a simple coconut chutney healthier and with a wonderful taste too.
While I enjoy eating it with dosa or idli, I sometimes like to eat it with chapatis or even use it as a spread for sandwiches. Lets move on to the recipe for easy green coconut chutney.
how to make green coconut chutney step by step
- Pick the coriander leaves along with tender stems, wash and chop them.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan and add chana dal.
- Once chana dal starts changing color slightly, add urad dal.
- Fry till the dals turn golden brown in color.
- Now add the chopped ginger and coriander leaves along with the tamarind.
- Saute for just a minute and remove from heat and let this cool down slightly.
- Add grated coconut, salt and green chilli and blend the ingredients to a fine paste in a blender or mixer by adding little water.
- Finally season the chutney. Green coconut coriander chutney is now ready to be served with idli or dosa.
Green Coconut Chutney | Coconut Coriander Chutney Recipe
Green Coconut Chutney | Coconut Coriander Chutney recipe
- 3/4 cup grated coconut / thengai / nariyal
- 1/2 cup ( packed ) chopped coriander leaves / cilantro / kothamalli
- 1/2 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 green chilli
- 1 1/2 tsp chana dal / split bengal gram dal / split chickpeas
- 1 tsp urad dal / husked black gram / ulutham paruppu
- small marble-sized tamarind
- 1 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp oil
- Pick the coriander leaves along with tender stems and wash them thoroughly. Chop the washed coriander leaves.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan. Add chana dal and once they start changing color slightly, add urad dal. Fry till the dals turn golden brown in color.
- Now add the chopped ginger and chopped coriander leaves along with the tamarind. Saute for just a minute. Remove from heat and let this cool down slightly.
- Add the grated coconut and chopped green chilli along with salt and transfer the contents to a blender or mixer. Blend the ingredients to a fine paste by adding little water. Transfer the chutney to a serving bowl.
- For seasoning, heat oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds and when they splutter, remove from heat and pour over the chutney and mix well.
- Green coconut coriander chutney is ready to be served with idli or dosa.
- Adjust chillies as per your taste.