Beetroot Dal or Beetroot Lentil Curry recipe – an easy Indian curry using beetroots. This recipe has beetroots in a split yellow lentils based curry.
I usually make beetroot stir fry with beetroots.
For a change, with a couple of beetroots that I had, I decided to combine it with yellow moong dal and the result was this simple and delicious beetroot dal.
The first time I tried it by adding chopped beetroots. Next time I tried it by adding grated beetroots and totally loved it as it completely blends with the lentils and you get the beetroots in every bite.
I am not a great fan of beetroots but I enjoyed this version of beets with dal. So if you too are not very fond of beetroots, do give this recipe a try. Kids too will love this as the beets have a naturally vibrant and attractive color. This dal goes well with rice as well as a side dish for rotis / chapatis.
As for nutrition, beetroots are low in calories and a good source of dietary fiber. They are also a good source of iron, magnesium and Vitamin C.
Lets see how to make easy beetroot dal.
how to make beetroot dal with step by step photos
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add cumin seeds. Add chopped onions, garlic, green chilli and fennel seeds.
- Fry till onions turn brown in color.
- Then add boiled and grated beetroot.
- Add spice powders and salt. Mix well.
- Add boiled moong dal.
- Mix cooked dal with the grated beetroot and spices
- Add water. Simmer the dal for 6-7 minutes or till it reaches desired consistency.
- Now beetroot dal is ready to be served.
Beetroot Dal | Beetroot Lentil Curry Recipe
Beetroot Dal – Beetroot Lentil Curry recipe
- 1 medium-sized beetroot / chukandar
- 1/3 cup moong dal / split dehusked green gram / pasi paruppu
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 1 green chilli
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder / jeera powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds / saunf / sombu
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Wash moong dal and pressure cook it with 1 1/4 cups water till it turns soft. Alternatively boil moong dal with enough water till it turns soft.
- Meanwhile boil the beetroot in enough water till it turns soft. You could instead pressure cook the whole beetroot in enough water for 3-4 whistles or till the beetroot turns soft. Peel the skin of the beetroot and grate it. Set this aside.
- Finely chop onions and garlic. Roughly chop the green chilli.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan. Add mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds change color, add the chopped onions, garlic, green chillies and fennel seeds.
- Fry till onions turn almost golden brown in color.
- Now add the grated beetroot along with salt and the spice powders. Mix well and saute for a minute.
- Add the cooked moong dal lentils with 1/2 cup water.
- Let this simmer on low heat for 6-7 minutes or till the gravy thickens to desired consistency. Keep stirring occasionally to prevent the dal from sticking to the pan. Then remove from heat and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Beetroot dal is now ready to be served.