Bhindi masala is a simple and delicious okra curry with onions and tomatoes.
I always prefer the dry curry version of bhindi and end up making bhindi sabzi which I could have any day.
Just for a change I decided to try this version of bhindi with tomatoes and it turned out delicious. Every bite of the bhindi is flavoured with the tomatoes and masala.
This simple recipe is a good side dish for phulkas or rotis. Lets move on to the recipe for bhindi masala.
Bhindi Masala | Okra Tomato Curry Recipe
Bhindi Masala recipe
- 2 1/2 cups chopped bhindi ( okra / vendakkai )
- 1 onion, big
- 3 tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder / dry mango powder
- A pinch of sugar
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash the okras, dry them with a towel and chop them into roughly 2 inches long pieces.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the okras and fry them in medium heat along with salt till they start to change color.
- Remove the fried okras and keep aside.
- Meanwhile chop onions, tomatoes and garlic finely.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the chopped onions, garlic and ginger paste.
- Saute till the onions turn brown.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes along with salt, turmeric powder, sugar, cumin powder and red chilli powder
- Fry till the tomatoes turn soft and mushy. Add half a cup of water along with the fried okras and let this gravy simmer in slow flame till the curry become dry.
- Just before removing from stove sprinkle the garam masala powder and mix well.
- Bhindi masala is ready to be served hot with rotis or chapathis.