Cabbage pappu / cabbage dal recipe – a delicious Andhra style cabbage and lentils curry. This South Indian dal curry is easy and quick to make. I have used moong dal or split yellow mung lentils to make this dal and it has no coconut added to it.
When looking for a wholesome and quick lunch, I usually end up making dal with veggies added to it. It is healthier and certainly a great way to finish off those few remaining vegetables after using them in other curries.
I usually like to prepare a simple kootu like carrot kootu to go with rice for lunch.
This cabbage pappu is a simple and quick dal in which split yellow moong dal and chopped cabbage are added to the pressure cooker. Once the dal is cooked, just temper the dal with the seasoning. This will give a nice flavor to the dal.
For other healthy dal recipes do check out
The amount of oil or ghee required for this recipe is less and is basically used only for tempering the pappu. This cabbage dal goes equally well with rice or chapathi.
Cabbage is not only a great source of vitamin C but also a good source of dietary fiber. Split yellow moong lentils are a good source of proteins as well as easily digestible. Lets move on to the recipe for easy cabbage pappu.
Cabbage Pappu | Andhra Style Cabbage Dal | Cabbage and Lentils Curry Recipe below
Cabbage Dal | Cabbage Pappu recipe
- 2 cups chopped cabbage / muttaikose / patta gobhi )
- 1/2 cup yellow moong dal / pesarapappu / split yellow mung lentils
- 1 onion small
- 1 tomato small
- 1-2 green chillies
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds ( jeera )
- 2 dry red chillies, broken
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- A few curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Firstly, rinse moong dal with water 4-5 times. Drain the water and set the moong dal aside.
- Wash the cabbage and finely chop it.
- Finely chop peeled onion and peeled garlic. Slit the green chilli.
- Wash and quarter the tomato. Also mince the peeled ginger.
- In a pressure cooker, take moong dal, chopped cabbage, slit green chillies, chopped onion, quartered tomato, minced ginger and finely chopped garlic. Add salt and turmeric powder. Then add 2 cups water and mix well. Pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium heat or till the dal turns soft.
- Once the pressure has released on its own, open the pressure cooker and lightly mash the dal mixture.
- Heat oil in a small kadai or pan and add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds change color, add dry red chillies and curry leaves. Fry for a few seconds and remove from heat.
- Add this tempering to the prepared dal and stir.
- Finally, add freshly squeezed lemon juice and mix well.
- Cabbage pappu is now ready to be served.
- Adjust quantity of chillies as per taste.