Lauki chana dal recipe is a simple bottle gourd and split bengal gram curry. Lauki / ghiya / doodhi is generally considered bland and does not come under the list of favorite veggies for many, in spite of its numerous health benefits. But somehow, when combined with chana dal, lauki tastes delicious.
When not making the dry lauki sabzi, I end up preparing this chana dal curry with bottle gourd. Its one of my favorite dal recipes that I prepare as a side dish for rotis or phulkas.
As for the health benefits, bottle gourd is low in calories and fat and is rich in dietary fiber. Do try this easy and tasty lauki chana dal curry that can be served with rice or rotis.
Lauki Chana Dal | Bottle Gourd Chana Dal Curry Recipe
Lauki Chana Dal recipe
- 1 cup chopped lauki / bottle gourd / sorakkai
- 1 onion, medium-sized
- 1 tomato, medium-sized
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup chana dal / split bengal gram dal / kadalai paruppu
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Chop onion, tomato and garlic finely.
- Peel the skin of lauki and chop into small pieces.
- Pressure cook chana dal until it turns soft and slightly mash it.
- Pressure cook lauki for 2 whistles and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and dry red chillies.
- When cumin seeds crackle, add chopped onions and garlic.
- Saute till onions turn golden brown.
- Now add chopped tomatoes along with salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Fry till tomatoes are mashed.
- Add cooked chana dal and lauki along with little water.
- Let this cook till gravy reaches desired consistency.
- Finally sprinkle garam masala powder and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and lauki chana dal is ready to be served with rotis or rice.