Mango moong dal recipe is a simple and delicious curry of yellow moong dal flavored with raw mangoes. Dals are an integral part of Indian cuisine. Rotis or rice with a bowl of dal is the most comforting Indian meal.
The lentils used in this dish is moong dal / split yellow lentils which are easy to digest and also cook very fast. This curry recipe uses sour green raw mangoes and makes for a lovely combination with moong dal.
The raw mangoes give a unique flavor to the dal that is tangy and tasty and better still, it can be prepared quickly. You could serve this curry with rotis or rice.
Do try this quick and easy mango moong dal recipe.
Mango Moong Dal | Mamidikaya Pesarapappu Recipe
Mango Moong Dal recipe
- 1 raw mango / kaccha aam / manga
- 1/2 cup moong dal / pesarapappu /pasi paruppu
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 green chillies
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 2 dry red chillies
- A few curry leaves
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Peel raw mango and chop into small pieces.
- Slit green chilies. Finely chop garlic.
- Pressure cook moong dal with mangoes, salt, turmeric powder and 1-1/4 cups of water for 2 whistles or til the dal turns soft.
- For tadka, heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add cumin seeds, asafoetida and dry red chillies.
- Once cumin seeds crackle, add green chillies, curry leaves and garlic.
- Saute till garlic slightly changes color.
- Add the cooked moong dal and mango mixture to the tempering and let this come to a boil.
- Remove from heat and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Mango moong dal is ready to be served with rice or chapatis.