Here is a simple spicy and tangy mullangi kuzhambu using radish. This South Indian style gravy goes well with rice and appalam.
Lets move on to the recipe for radish kuzhambu.
Radish Kuzhambu / Mullangi Kuzhambu
Radish Kuzhambu recipe
- 1 radish ( mullangi / mooli ) medium-sized
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- gooseberry-sized tamarind
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- A few curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Peel the radish and cut into thin slices.
- Extract the tamarind juice and keep aside.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes.
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When mustard seeds crackle, add cumin seeds and urad dal.
- When they turn brown, add the chopped onions and curry leaves.
- Fry till the onions turn soft.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Fry till the tomatoes get mashed well.
- Add the tamarind extract along with water depending on the consistency of gravy that you want.
- Let this gravy come to a boil and then let it simmer on medium heat for 6-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve radish kuzhambu with rice.