Tawa paneer masala recipe – a quick and easy North Indian style paneer recipe. This is a semi-dry dish that uses simple everyday ingredients.
As the name suggests, tawa paneer is cooked on a tawa or griddle. But you could use a frying pan or wok too. This delicious tava paneer goes well as a side dish for rotis or any Indian flat breads or even rice.
Paneer is a fresh and soft cheese, also referred to as Indian cottage cheese. Any Indian restaurant will have at least one paneer dish on their menu. It is one of the favorite and most popular ingredients for vegetarians. Sometimes I end up making a stuffed paratha like carrot paneer paratha or a simple side dish like paneer tomato curry. I tried this quick tava paneer that turned out delicious and perfect with chapathis.
Apart from the fact that they can enhance the taste of any dish, paneer has a lot of health benefits. They are rich in calcium, proteins and minerals. They are especially good for kids. Lets move on to the recipe for easy tawa paneer masala.
How to make Tawa Paneer Masala step by step
- Heat oil in a tawa or pan. Add cumin seeds and ajwain. When they change color, add chopped onions. Fry till the edges of the onions turn golden brown in color. Then add the chopped capsicum along with finely chopped ginger and slit green chilli.
- Fry till capsicum turns soft. Then add the tomato pulp. Let this cook for 2 minutes. Add salt, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix well and fry for a few seconds. Add 1/4 cup water. Mix well. Then add the paneer cubes.
- Cook for another 3-4 minutes till the gravy has reduced in quantity. Finally sprinkle crushed kasuri methi. Mix well and fry for a minute. Remove from heat. Sprinkle chaat masala powder and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Tawa paneer masala is now ready to be served.
Paneer Tawa Masala | Tawa Paneer Recipe
Tawa Paneer | Paneer Tava Masala recipe
- 200 gms paneer ( or cottage cheese )
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 3 tomatoes medium-sized
- 1/2 cup chopped green capsicum ( bell pepper )
- 1 green chilli
- 3/4 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala powder
- 1 tsp kasuri methi ( dry fenugreek leaves )
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp ajwain ( or carom seeds )
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Finely chop onions. Mince the ginger. Chop the capsicum into small cubes. Slit the green chilli lengthwise. Cut the paneer into small cubes.
- Blend the tomatoes in a mixer-grinder or blender to a puree and set aside.
- Heat oil in a tawa or skillet or pan. Add cumin seeds and carom seeds. Fry till they change color.
- Then add the finely chopped onions. Fry till the edges of the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the capsicum cubes, slit green chilli and minced ginger. Fry till the capsicum turns slightly soft. Now add the tomato pulp. Cook for 2 minutes. Add salt, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix well and fry for a few seconds. Add 1/4 cup water.
- Then add the paneer cubes. Mix well and let this cook for 3-4 minutes on a low flame till the gravy has reduced in quantity. Finally add the crushed kasuri methi. Mix well and fry on high for a minute. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle chaat masala powder and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Tawa Paneer Masala is now ready to be served.