Creamy egg curry with yogurt recipe – a delicious curry with eggs in a creamy yogurt based gravy. This simple egg curry uses curd or yogurt as the base for the curry. When looking for a quick-fix dinner, I end up making a dish with eggs. Easy to make and protein-rich, they are one of my most reliable ingredients in the pantry. I do love mixing some greens with eggs as in the spinach egg curry or adding coconut to the egg curry as in poached egg curry. So I was excited to try an egg curry with curd / yogurt.
My dinner a couple of days ago was this yogurt egg curry with rotis. As the name suggests, the creaminess of the curry comes from yogurt. The spices lend a nice flavor to the curry and the kasuri methi gives a unique flavor to the gravy. So while eggs are being boiled, just rustle up the curry and add the eggs and just simmer the curry to allow the eggs to soak up all the flavors. That’s it! you are done with a curry to go with chapatis, naan or phulkas.
Eggs are protein-rich while yogurt is calcium-rich making this a healthy curry for your dinner or lunch. Lets move on to the recipe for easy creamy egg curry with yogurt.
Creamy Egg Curry with Yogurt recipe below
- 2-3 eggs / anda / muttai
- 1 onion large
- 1 tomato small
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 cup yogurt / thick curd / dahi
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds / til / ellu
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 tsp + 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Hard boil the eggs in enough water. Remove the shells and make 2-3 thin slits with a knife on the eggs lengthwise. Set the eggs aside.
- Meanwhile, slice the onions lengthwise. Chop ginger, garlic and tomatoes. Whisk the yogurt and set aside.
- Dry roast the sesame seeds in a kadai or pan till they change color to light brown. Remove from heat and set the roasted sesame seeds aside in a small bowl.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in the same pan. Add the sliced onions, ginger and garlic.
- Fry till onions turn golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Once it cools down, grind the fried onion-ginger-garlic mixture along with the roasted sesame seeds to a fine paste by adding enough water.
- In the same pan, heat 2 tsp oil. Add the bay leaf and cinnamon. Fry for a minute.
- Then add cumin seeds. Once they crackle, add the ground onion-sesame paste.
- Fry for a minute. Then add the chopped tomatoes.
- Fry for a minute and half on low flame. Now add in all the spice powders along with salt.
- Let this cook on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Then add the whisked yogurt, Mix well and keep stirring till the gravy comes to a boil.
- Gently add the boiled eggs and let the gravy simmer on low heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Finally add the crushed kasuri methi. Mix well. Let the gravy cook for another minute. Remove from heat.
- Creamy egg curry with yogurt is ready to be served.
how to make creamy egg curry with step by step photos
- Hard-boil the eggs in enough water. Make 2-3 slits on the eggs lengthwise and set aside. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan. Add sliced onions, chopped ginger and garlic.
- Fry till the onions turn golden-brown.
- Then remove from heat and grind it along with roasted sesame seeds to a fine paste by adding enough water.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in the same pan. Add cumin seeds and when they crackle, add the ground onion-sesame paste. Fry for a minute. Add chopped tomatoes and let it cook for a minute on low flame.
- Add the spice powders along with salt and mix well.
- Let this cook for 2 minutes. Then add the whisked yogurt.
- Keep stirring till the gravy comes to a boil. Now add in the boiled eggs.
- Let the gravy cook on a low flame for 3-4 minutes. Finally add the crushed kasuri methi and mix well. Let this cook for another minute. Remove from heat. Creamy egg curry with yogurt is ready to be served hot with rotis / chapatis, naan or phulkas.