Muttai Thokku / Egg Thokku recipe is a South Indian style flavorful and spicy egg masala. Boiled eggs are coated with the masala made of onions and spices.
The spices are freshly ground which gives a wonderful aroma and flavor to this dish.
For a quick fix side dish I rely on the versatality of eggs. They cook fast and taste good as a gravy or a simple stir fry.
This egg thokku is one such dish where the masalas lend a spicy touch to eggs.
I love this simple dish that can be prepared in minutes and tastes delicious as a side dish for pulao, jeera rice or even curd rice.
As for nutrition eggs are rich in proteins. Black pepper is a great source of vitamin K and dietary fiber and is also good for digestion.
For other egg recipes do check out
Lets move on to the easy recipe for easy egg thokku.
Muttai Thokku | Egg Thokku Recipe
Muttai Thokku – Egg Thokku recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 1 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- A few curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Hard-boil the egss, remove the shells and slice each egg into 2 halves. Set this aside.
- Meanwhile roughly chop the onion and garlic.
- Blend the chopped onions, garlic, cinnamon, fennel seeds and black peppercorns to a fine paste without adding water.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the curry leaves and the ground onion paste.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Fry this on a medium-low flame till the raw smell of onion goes and the oil starts to leave the onion paste. Sprinkle a tbsp of water.
- Add the sliced eggs and mix gently. Let this cook for a minute on a low flame and remove from heat.
- Muttai thokku is ready to be served hot.