Aval payasam is a simple and easy dessert recipe that is prepared from flattened rice / beaten rice. This version of aval payasam that I have prepared is made using sugar and there is another version that is made with jaggery.
If you are looking for a sweet dish that can be prepared quickly, then this is the payasam that you can go for. Festivals are incomplete without a sweet dish and this is one of the traditional recipes that is prepared in South Indian homes.
Flattened rice is dehusked rice that is flattened into flat dry flakes and is easily digestible. Do try this easy and simple aval payasam recipe.
Aval Payasam | Poha Kheer | Flattened Rice Pudding Recipe
- 1/4 cup thick aval / poha / beaten rice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cardamoms
- A few strands of saffron (optional)
- A few cashew nuts and raisins
- Soak saffron in 1 tbsp warm milk.
- Wash the aval and drain the water. Do not keep it for long, otherwise it will become soggy.
- Fry cashews and raisins in ghee.
- In same pan, roast aval till it becomes crisp.
- Once it cools down, grind it into a powder of rava-like consistency.
- In a heavy bottom pan, boil milk.
- Add aval and let it cook in low flame till it becomes soft.
- Then add sugar, cardamoms and saffron milk, give it a good mix and let this boil for around 5 minutes.
- Finally, add the fried cashew nuts and raisins.
- Serve aval payasam warm or cold.