Black chickpeas sundal recipe is a simple and easy South Indian style sundal recipe that is generally prepared as a naivedyam for Navratri festival.
Black chickpeas also called as kala chana need to be soaked overnight and then cooked. The cooked chana is then tossed in a mild seasoning and fresh grated coconut. Once you have the cooked chana, this is a quick and easy dish to prepare.
For other sundal recipes do check out
As for nutrition, black chickpeas are rich in protein. You could have this sundal as a healthy evening snack that is delicious and filling. Do try this simple and easy kondakadalai / black chickpeas sundal recipe.
Black Chickpeas Sundal | Karuppu Kondakadalai Sundal Recipe
Black Chickpeas Sundal recipe
- 1/2 cup black chickpeas ( kala chana / karuppu kondai kadalai )
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp broken urad dal ( split black gram )
- 2-3 dry red chillies
- Salt to taste
- Soak black chickpeas in water overnight or for around 7-8 hours. Drain the water.
- Pressure cook the chickpeas with enough water for 5-6 whistles or till they turn soft.
- Drain the water and keep the cooked chickpeas aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add urad dal, asafoetida and dry red chillies.
- Saute till dal turns brown in color.
- Add the cooked chana along with salt and mix well.
- Finally add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Saute for 2 minutes and then remove from flame.
- Black chickpeas sundal is ready to be served.