Carrot Pulao recipe – a quick and easy Indian one pot meal. This recipe has rice flavored with spices and loaded with carrots. I do enjoy elaborate South Indian meals for lunch like a plate of steamed rice, curry leaves gravy and carrot kootu.
But there are times when I crave for a simple meal without an overloading of spices. Well it was one such day a week back and the end result was this simple vegan carrot pulao rice.
It is a very lightly spiced rice and for a touch of sweetness I added raisins. Kids will love to have it and this can be a good lunch box option.
Carrots are nutritious, being rich in vitamin A and dietary fiber and great to be included in our diet regularly. Lets move on to the recipe for healthy and easy carrot pulao.
- 1 cup long-grained rice or basmati rice
- 1/2 cup diced carrots ( gajar )
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 1 tsp chopped garlic cloves
- 1-2 green chillies
- 2 cloves ( laung )
- 2 inch piece cinnamon ( dalchini )
- 1 star anise
- 1 bay leaf ( tejpatta )
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds ( saunf or sombu )
- 1 tbsp raisins ( kishmish )
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Mint leaves for garnishing
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak the rice in water for 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile peel the carrots and dice them.
- Thinly slice the onion, slit the green chillies lengthwise and finely chop the garlic cloves.
- Heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan. Add the whole spices - bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and star anise. Saute for 3-4 seconds. Then add the raisins.
- Fry till the raisins turn plump and change color. Remove only the raisins from the pan and set them aside.
- Add fennel seeds and saute for 2 seconds.
- Then add the sliced onions, chopped garlic and green chillies. Fry till onions turn translucent and soft.
- Now add the diced carrots. Let the carrots cook on a medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Keep stirring in-between.
- Wash the rice 3-4 times and drain out all the water.
- Add the rice along with salt. Gently saute the rice for a minute.
- Then pour in 2 cups water. Let the water come to a boil. Now cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid. Reduce the flame and let the rice simmer on low heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and let it rest covered for 5 minutes. Then fluff the rice with a fork.
- Mix in the reserved fried raisins. Garnish the rice with chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Carrot pulao is ready to be served.
how to make carrot pulao with step by step photos
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the whole spices and saute for a minute. Then add the raisins and fry till they turn plump. Remove only the raisins and set these aside. Add fennel seeds and saute for a couple of seconds. Add onions, garlic and green chillies.
- Fry till onions turn translucent. Then add the chopped carrots and salt.
- Let the carrots cook for a couple of minutes. Then add the soaked and washed rice. Fry gently for a minute.
- Add water and once it comes to a boil, cover with a lid. Let the rice cook on a low heat for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and let it stand covered for 5 minutes. Carrot pulao is ready to be served.