Carrot Pulao recipe – a quick and easy Indian one pot meal. This recipe has rice flavored with spices and loaded with carrots. I do enjoy elaborate South Indian meals for lunch like a plate of steamed rice, curry leaves gravy and carrot kootu.
But there are times when I crave for a simple meal without an overloading of spices. Well it was one such day a week back and the end result was this simple vegan carrot pulao rice.
It is a very lightly spiced rice and for a touch of sweetness I added raisins. Kids will love to have it and this can be a good lunch box option.
Carrots are nutritious, being rich in vitamin A and dietary fiber and great to be included in our diet regularly. Lets move on to the recipe for healthy and easy carrot rice pulao.
How to make Carrot Pulao step by step
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the whole spices and saute for a minute. Then add the raisins and fry till they turn plump. Remove only the raisins and set these aside. Add fennel seeds and saute for a couple of seconds. Add onions, garlic and green chillies.
- Fry till onions turn translucent. Then add the chopped carrots and salt.
- Let the carrots cook for a couple of minutes. Then add the soaked and washed rice. Fry gently for a minute.
- Add water and once it comes to a boil, cover with a lid. Let the rice cook on a low heat for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and let it stand covered for 5 minutes. Now Carrot pulao is ready to be served.
Carrot Pulao | Carrot Rice Recipe
Carrot Pulao recipe
- 1 cup long-grained rice or basmati rice
- 1/2 cup diced carrots ( gajar )
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 1 tsp chopped garlic cloves
- 1-2 green chillies
- 2 cloves ( laung )
- 2 inch piece cinnamon ( dalchini )
- 1 star anise
- 1 bay leaf ( tejpatta )
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds ( saunf or sombu )
- 1 tbsp raisins ( kishmish )
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Mint leaves for garnishing
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak the rice in water for 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile peel the carrots and dice them.
- Thinly slice the onion, slit the green chillies lengthwise and finely chop the garlic cloves.
- Heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan. Add the whole spices – bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and star anise. Saute for 3-4 seconds. Then add the raisins.
- Fry till the raisins turn plump and change color. Remove only the raisins from the pan and set them aside.
- Add fennel seeds and saute for 2 seconds.
- Then add the sliced onions, chopped garlic and green chillies. Fry till onions turn translucent and soft.
- Now add the diced carrots. Let the carrots cook on a medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Keep stirring in-between.
- Wash the rice 3-4 times and drain out all the water.
- Add the rice along with salt. Gently saute the rice for a minute.
- Then pour in 2 cups water. Let the water come to a boil. Now cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid. Reduce the flame and let the rice simmer on low heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and let it rest covered for 5 minutes. Then fluff the rice with a fork.
- Mix in the reserved fried raisins. Garnish the rice with chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Carrot pulao is ready to be served.