Aloo matar paneer recipe – a simple and delicious North Indian curry of paneer or cottage cheese, green peas and potatoes. This is one of my favorite side dish recipes that is easy to make. Though frozen green peas are available throughout the year, I love the fresh green peas that you get during winter season.
I usually make aloo matar sabzi – a dry curry of peas and potatoes which has no tomatoes in it. Paneer being my favorite, I incorporated it to this aloo matar paneer curry which has tomatoes lending a gravy consistency to the dish.
As for nutrition, green peas are a rich source of vitamin C while paneer is rich in protein. Potatoes are starchy vegetables and are also a good source of vitamin C.
This side dish recipe goes very well with rotis, naans or any Indian flat bread. Kids will love this combination of peas, paneer and potatoes. Lets see how to make aloo matar paneer curry.
Aloo Matar Paneer | Paneer Peas and Potato Curry Recipe
- 1 cup paneer / cottage cheese cubes
- 2 potatoes medium sized
- 1/2 cup matar / green peas - fresh or frozen
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 2 large tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 tsp kasoori methi ( dry fenugreek leaves )
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Boil the potatoes, peel off the skin and cut them into bite-sized cubes.
- Finely chop onions, garlic and tomatoes.
- Cut the paneer into cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds crackle, add chopped onions and garlic.
- Fry till onions turn light brown in color.
- Now add in the chopped tomatoes along with salt. Let this cook on medium flame till tomatoes are soft and mashed.
- Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
- Fry for a minute and add the potatoes and green peas. Slip in the paneer cubes.
- Add water and mix gently. Cook till peas are tender and gravy has reached desired consistency.
- Finally crush the kasoori methi using your hands and add it to the gravy.
- Stir gently, cook for a minute and remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Aloo matar paneer curry is ready to be served with rotis or any Indian flat bread.