Paruppu usili is a traditional South Indian dish that can be had as an accompaniment for rice. In this recipe, lentils are steamed and mixed with broad beans / avarakkai.
Avarakkai Paruppu Usili – Broad Beans Paruppu Usili Recipe
Avarakkai Paruppu Usili recipe
- 1 cup chopped avarakkai / broad beans
- 1 cup chana dal / kadalai paruppu
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 dry red chillies
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- A pinch of asafoetida
- A few curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Soak chana dal for about 2 hrs.
- Grind it with salt, asafoetida, cumin seeds and 2 dry red chillies to a coarse paste. Make sure you dont add any water while grinding.
- Grease idli plates with oil and fill them with the ground paste.
- Steam this mixture for about 10 minutes.
- Once it is done, crumble the steamed dal with your hands and keep it aside.
- Meanwhile cook avarakkai in water, adding salt and turmeric powder to it.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, dry red chilli and urad dal.
- When the mustard crackles, add curry leaves.
- Then add the crumbled steamed dal and fry for a few minutes.
- Now add boiled avarakkai and stir fry for a couple of minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve avarakkai paruppu usili as a side dish for rice.