Kothavarangai poriyal is a dry curry prepared with cluster beans / guar / guwar. Kothavarangai has a slight bitter taste, not too noticeable.
As for the health benefits, they are fiber-rich and also rich in proteins.
This recipe is a simple dish that can be had as a side dish for rice or rotis.
Kothavarangai Poriyal | Cluster Beans Fry | Guar ki Sabzi Recipe
- 2 cups chopped cluster beans / kothavarangai / guar
- 1 onion, medium-sized
- 1 tomato, medium-sized
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- Salt to taste
- Chop the cluster beans and boil it in enough water, along with salt, till it turns soft.
- Chop onion and tomato.
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds and when they turn brown, add the chopped onions.
- Saute till onions turn soft.
- Add chopped tomatoes along with turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Fry till tomatoes are mashed and raw smell goes.
- Add the cooked cluster beans and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve kothavarangai poriyal as a side dish for rice or rotis.