Methi aloo sabzi is a combination of potatoes with the aromatic fenugreek leaves. This is a typical Indian dish and can be had with rice or Indian breads. Here I have used fresh methi leaves instead of kasoori methi. Methi leaves are known to aid digestion.
Methi Aloo Recipe
- 3 potatoes
- 1 big onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh methi (fenugreek) leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Chop the onions. Parboil the potatoes.
- Remove the skin of the boiled potatoes when they become cool. Then cut the potatoes into big chunks.
- In a pan, heat oil. When oil becomes hot, add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds become brown, add the chopped onions. Fry till the onions become translucent.
- Then add the methi leaves and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the potatoes along with salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Fry this till the potatoes get coated with the masala. You could add a little water so that the potatoes don’t stick to the pan.
- When aloo methi sabzi is done, remove and serve hot. This goes well as a side dish for chapatis and rice.