Paneer, made from milk is rich with protiens and is a good protien supplement for vegetarians. I think that every restaurant in India would have atleast one paneer dish in its menu.
There are a variety of dishes that could be prepared with paneer and some of the most famous are the Mughlai shahi paneer, paneer tikka, paneer butter masala and the most common one is the kadai paneer.
I had some paneer available and did not want to make any of these elaborate dishes. The dish that I came up with is somewhat like paneer tikka. It can be prepared in a jiffy and tastes good.
This dish goes well with any Indian bread like chappati, naan or with any pulao or with curd rice.
Paneer Masala (Cottage Cheese Masala) Recipe
Paneer Masala (Cottage Cheese Masala) recipe
- 1 cup paneer cut into thin slices
- 1 big onion
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 green bell pepper / capsicum
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Slice the onion and capsicum into long slices.
- Cut the paneer into thin slices.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan. Add the chopped onions. Fry till the onions golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for a few minutes till the raw smell goes.
- Now add the sliced capsicum along with the spices – turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder and salt.
- Cook till the capsicum turn soft.
- Add the paneer slices and carefully mix the paneer so that the pieces get coated with the masala evenly.
- You could sprinkle a little water if required.
- Once it dries up, remove from heat and paneer masala is ready to be served hot.