Potato Tomato Fry / Urulai Kizhangu Poriyal recipe – a simple South Indian style dry potato curry. This recipe has potatoes cooked with onions and tomatoes along with spices. Isn’t potato one of the most versatile veggies. They can be roasted, mashed, fried..the list can be long! There’s one thing you can’t deny, any which way you prepare them, they turn out yummy.
On the nutrition front, potatoes are rich in carbohydrates and also a good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 and magnesium.
This recipe is very easy to make and I usually prepare this as a side dish for sambar, rasam or curd rice. It goes well with rotis and poori also. Potatoes are first boiled and then pan fried with onions and tomatoes along with masalas which give a nice flavor to the curry.
How to make Potato Tomato Fry step by step
- Boil potatoes and set aside. Heat oil in a pan and add the tempering ingredients. Then add chopped onions and garlic.
- Fry till onions turn light brown in color and then add chopped tomatoes.
- Fry till tomatoes turn soft and mashed. Add the dry masala powders along with salt and saute for a minute.
- Finally add boiled and chopped potatoes.
- Mix well and cook on low flame, stirring regularly for 6-7 minutes and remove from flame.
- Potato tomato fry is now ready to be served.
Urulai Kizhangu Poriyal | Potato Tomato Fry Recipe
Potato Tomato Fry recipe
- 3 medium-sized potatoes / urulai kizhangu / aloo
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 1 tomato medium-sized
- 4 small garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp split urad dal / ulutham paruppu
- A few curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook or boil the potatoes, peel the skin and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Finely chop onion, garlic and tomato.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add asafoetida, urad dal and curry leaves.
- When dal turns brown, add chopped onions and garlic.
- Saute till onions turn light brown.
- Now add chopped tomatoes. Fry for 2 minutes on medium-low flame till tomatoes turn soft and mashed. Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Fry for a minute. Then add chopped boiled potatoes and mix well.
- Cook on low flame for 6-7 minutes. Keep stirring regularly. The masalas will form a coating on the potatoes. Then remove from heat.
- Potato tomato fry is ready to be served.