This recipe consists of bell pepper or capsicum as it is commonly called in India, stuffed with a potato mixture. This is a great side dish for rice, rotis and other Indian breads.
Its been baked in the oven instead of frying it in oil as it is usually done. In North India the stuffed bell pepper is referred to as bharwan shimla mirch.
Stuffed Bell Pepper (Stuffed Capsicum/Bharwan Shimla Mirch) Recipe
- 2 green bell peppers (capsicums)
- 1 onion
- 2 potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 green chilli
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Cut each of the capsicum into two halves and de-seed them.
- Boil them in water for about 15 minutes and once done, drain the water and keep them aside.
- Chop the onions and green chillies finely.
- Boil the potatoes, remove the skin and mash them.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When they turn brown, add the chopped onions and green chillies. Fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Now add the mashed potatoes. Add the masalas - turmeric powder, dhania powder, red chilli powder, jeera powder and salt.
- Fry till the masalas get mixed with the potatoes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Fill the potato mixture in each of the capsicum halves. Grease the baking tray and bake the capsicums for about 10 minutes or till done. Serve hot.