Beetroot raita is a lightly seasoned beets yogurt dip. I am not a great fan of beetroots but really like the rich and vibrant color that this vegetable lends to a dish.
This simple, easy to make raita goes well as an accompaniment to biryani, pulao or lentil based dishes. You can also have it with chapathis /rotis.
This is a nutritious healthy recipe. Beetroots are rich in antioxidants. They are also a good source of vitamin C, potassium, magnesium and sodium.
Beetroot Raita Recipe
Lets move on to the recipe for beetroot raita.
- 1 beetroot
- 1.5 cups yogurt / curd / dahi
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1-2 green chillies
- A few curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- Cook the beetroot till it turns soft and chop finely.
- Chop the green chillies finely.
- In a bowl, whip the yogurt with salt and sugar till it is of smooth texture.
- For the seasoning, heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard splutters, add curry leaves and chopped green chillies.
- Add this seasoning to the beaten yogurt along with cooked beetroot cubes and mix well.
- Beetroot raita is ready to be served.