Kachumber salad / cucumber-onion-tomato salad recipe – an easy and refeshing Indian salad. This quick salad recipe has cucumbers, tomatoes and onions flavored with spices. Its a simple salad that is tangy and flavorful and serves as a good accompaniment to a meal. You could even have it as a healthy snack.
An everyday North Indian meal usually comprises of rotis / rice, dal and curry / sabzi. This vegan cucumber-onion-tomato salad is a perfect side dish for such a meal. It can also be served with biryani, pulao or khichdi. It is colorful and pleasing to the eye as well as a refreshing accompaniment to a spicy meal. I like a simple no-fuss salad that can be made in minutes. This kuchumber salad is one of those that I end up making often as a side dish for an everyday quick dal and rice meal.
This crunchy and healthy oil-free salad is especially perfect for a hot summer day. It is easy and quick to make. The best part is that you dont need to cook anything. I for one thing love to use freshly ground spices. For this reason, I prepare freshly roasted cumin powder to add to the salad. As for the recipe, you basically just chop the fresh vegetables, add the herbs and dressing and you are done with a light salad that is delicious and refreshing.
For other salad recipes do check out
Cucumbers are basically low in calories and are rich in dietary fiber. Besides this, they contain vitamin C and potassium. Tomatoes are indeed a great source of vitamin C and dietary fiber. Onions too are a good source of vitamin C and dietary fiber. Also, they are also a source of folic acid. Lets move on to the recipe for easy kachumber salad.
Kachumber Salad | Indian Cucumber Onion Tomato Salad Recipe
Kachumber Salad recipe ( Indian Cucumber Onion Tomato Salad )
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cucumber / kheera
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion / pyaz
- 1 green chilli / hari mirch ( optional )
- 1/4 cup finely chopped tomato / tamatar
- 1 tsp finely chopped mint leaves / pudina leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves / cilantro / dhania patta
- 1/8 tsp black pepper ( ground ) / kali mirch ( or to taste )
- 1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder / jeera powder
- 1/8 tsp chaat masala powder
- 1/8 tsp black salt / kala namak
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Wash and peel the cucumber and finely chop it.
- Also peel and finely chop the onions.
- Wash and chop the tomatoes.
- De-seed the green chilli and roughly chop it.
- Pick the mint leaves and coriander leaves, wash and finely chop them.
- Now take these chopped vegetables in a bowl.
- Sprinkle roasted cumin powder, black pepper, chaat masala powder and black salt.
- Finally add freshly squeezed lemon juice to the salad. Toss the salad to mix well.
- Kachumber salad is now ready to be served.
- Substitute table salt for black salt, if you don’t have it in hand.
- Freshly prepared cumin powder tastes best for this recipe. To make it, take the cumin seeds in a pan and dry roast it till you get a nice aroma and the color changes slightly. Remove from heat and powder it using a mortar and pestle.
- Adjust black pepper as per taste.