Sprouted green gram stir fry / Cherupayar Thoran is a mildly spiced stir fry recipe using sprouted moong dal / pachai payuru. Sprouted green gram dal is highly nutritious and is a great source of proteins specifically for vegetarians.
This stir fry recipe is a Kerala style recipe. It is simple and nutritious with the addition of coconut enhancing the taste of sprouted moong.
You could have it as an accompaniment for rice or you could have it as a quick snack.
Sprouted Green Gram Stir Fry | Cherupayar Thoran | Moong Sprouts Stir Fry Recipe
- 2 cups whole green gram sprouts
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- A few curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Chop onion and slice garlic. Slit the green chillies.
- Cook sprouted green gram with salt and turmeric powder. Make sure that you don't overcook it.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add asafoetida, urad dal and fennel seeds.
- Then add curry leaves, chopped onions, sliced garlic and green chillies.
- Once onions turn translucent, add the cooked green gram sprouts along with salt.
- Stir fry for a couple of minutes. Then add grated coconut.
- Fry for around 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve sprouted green gram stir fry with rice or chapati or have it as a snack.