Here is a very easy and quick South Indian style crispy onion pakoda recipe. When the clouds turn dark and when I hear the pitter – patter of the raindrops, the one thing I wish for is to have tea with some crispy pakoras. Love this combination! This It is popular as an evening snack.
This dish is basically onion slices dipped in a chickpea batter and deep fried. A perfect snack to go with tea or coffee.
Crispy Onion Pakoda Recipe
Crispy Onion Pakoda
- 2 onions medium-sized
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour / besan / kadalai maavu
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- A few curry leaves
- Oil for deep-frying
- Salt to taste
- Chop the onions lengthwise into thin slices.
- In a bowl, mix chickpea flour, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, curry leaves and sliced onions.
- Sprinkle little water just to bind everything together, it should not be of batter consistency.
- Meanwhile heat oil for deep frying.
- Drop a little of the mixture in the hot oil and deep fry the pakodas to golden brown color, keeping the flame in medium-heat.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce, mint chutney or with a hot cup of tea and enjoy!