Idli upma is an easy recipe which can be made using leftover idlis. This will be a quick and easy dish to make for a change from the usual idli and chutney combination.
If you have any left over idlis available, then try out this dish. It is one of the snack items that kids will like to eat.
A spicy dish that can be made with leftover idlis is the masala idli.
Idli Upma Recipe
Idli Upma ( with leftover idlis ) recipe
- 6-7 left over idlis
- 1 big onion
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp chopped ginger
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- A few curry leaves
- A few coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Chop the onion and slit the green chillies.
- Crumble idlis and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add urad dal and fry till they turn brown.
- Add curry leaves, chopped ginger and chopped onions and saute till the onions turn soft.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and fry for a second.
- Now add the crumbled idlis and mix well.
- Remove and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.