Khara boondi is a spicy delicious savory snack. Chickpea flour (besan) is used to make boondi. Khara boondi is the savory version of boondi. The sweet version is made by adding sugar syrup to the boondi and boondi ladoo is a popular sweet prepared as the sweet version. While sweets are usually prepared during diwali festival, there are also some savoury snacks prepared alongside and this khara boondi is one of them. Check out boondi raita recipe prepared with boondi that goes well as a side dish for biryani or pulao or even for rotis. Do try this easy khara boondi snack recipe.
Khara Boondi Recipe
Khara Boondi recipe
- 1 cup chickpea flour / gram flour / kadalai maavu
- A few curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Take the gram flour in a bowl.
- Add water to the flour little by little, making sure that no lumps form.
- The batter should be neither too thin nor too thick.
- Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying.
- Take a perforated ladle and hold it above the kadai.
- Pour a small quantity of the prepared batter on it. The batter will flow through the ladle’s holes and into the oil and form small balls.
- Once the balls turn golden brown, remove them to a paper towel.
- Sprinkle salt and red chilli powder on it and mix well.
- In a separate pan, fry the curry leaves in little oil.
- Add the curry leaves to the khara boondi.
- Store in an air-tight container.
- As a variation, you can also add roasted peanuts to the boondi.