Here is Instant Oats Rava idli – a quick and healthy breakfast recipe using oats and semolina. I added some vegetables too to this idli to make it more healthy and wholesome.
While the thought of steaming hot traditional South Indian idlis made using rice and lentils can make me hungry, I do love the instant idli varieties that can be made quickly.
Usually I prepare quick rava idlis that is made using semolina. I have always wanted to try idlis using oats since I am not too fond of having oats porridge.
Oats is a healthy cereal that is low in calories and fiber rich. Its great to include oats in our diet and this Indian oats recipe is quick and easy to make and tastes good too.
I served these idlis with a delicious coconut mint chutney. Lets move on to the easy recipe for instant oats rava idli.
Instant Oats Rava Idli Recipe
- 2 cups quick cooking oats ( I used quaker oats )
- 3/4 cup rava / semolina / sooji
- 1 cup yogurt / curd / dahi
- 1/4 cup green peas ( optional )
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 green chilli
- 1-1/2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Mince the green chilli. Finely chop the ginger and grate the carrots.
- Dry roast the oats in a pan on medium-low flame till the raw smell goes and you get a good aroma. Transfer the roasted oats to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan add rava and dry roast it till the color changes slightly and you get a good aroma.
- Cool the roasted oats and grind to a fine powder consistency.
- In a bowl, add the roasted rava, ground oats flour, yogurt, salt and water. Mix well. Add little more water if required to get a idli batter consistency.
- Heat oil in the pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter add the chopped ginger and minced green chillies.
- Saute for a couple of seconds and add the green peas and grated carrots.
- Fry for a minute. Then add the chopped coriander leaves and stir for a couple of seconds.
- Add this seasoning to the prepared oats-rava batter.
- Add baking soda to the batter and mix well.
- Keep this batter aside for 5 minutes.
- Grease the idli plates with oil. Pour a ladle of batter to fill each of the idli moulds.
- Steam the idlis for 12-14 minutes.
- Cool down the idlis for a few minutes and then remove them from the moulds.
- Instant oats rava idli is now ready to be served with any chutney of your choice.