You have made different kinds of sandwiches for breakfast and now want to try something different with bread. Try this masala bread upma which is tangy and tasty. A quick and easy recipe that is great for making use of leftover bread too.
You don’t need any side-dish for this recipe. Enjoy it for breakfast or as a tea-time snack.
Masala Bread Upma Recipe
Masala Bread Upma
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 small capsicum
- 1 carrot
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp amchoor powder (dry mango powder)
- 2 tsp tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- A few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Toast the bread slices and cut them into small pieces. Another variation to this dish would be to not toast the bread slices and use them as it is.
- Chop the onion, tomato, capsicum and carrot.
- Slice the green chillies and grate the ginger.
- In a pan, heat oil and add cumin seeds. When they turn brown, add the chopped onions, curry leaves, grated ginger and green chillies and fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Then add the capsicum and fry till they turn soft.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes along with salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, amchoor powder and garam masala powder.
- Fry till the tomatoes are mashed well. Sprinkle some water and add tomato sauce. Fry for a few minutes.
- Add the toasted bread pieces and fry till the bread pieces get coated with the masala.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- If you want it more spicy, you could add pepper powder at the end.