Savory semolina cake recipe is a savory eggless cake made with semolina / sooji that is perfect for breakfast or as a snack. This is a healthy guilt free cake as it is loaded with vegetables and is made with semolina rather than all-purpose flour and has no butter. I love cakes especially the sweeter version. But when I came across this recipe I was excited to try it as it makes use of everyday ingredients available at home and is very easy and quick to put together. I have adapted this recipe from Anjum Anand’s ‘Indian Food Made Easy’. I have previously baked an eggless semolina banana cake which is a sweet cake made with semolina. I love this savory version which is almost like a baked version of the Gujarati snack Handvo. I served it with green chutney. For a healthy cake to have for breakfast or as tea time snack do try this simple and easy savory semolina cake.
Savory Semolina Cake recipe
A healthy eggless savory semolina breakfast / snack cake recipe.
- 1 cup semolina / sooji / rava
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp yogurt / curd / dahi
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 small carrot
- 1/4 cup green peas frozen / fresh
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1/2 tsp soda bicarbonate
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 2.5 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 deg C.
- If using fresh green peas, cook the peas till tender.
- Peel and grate the carrot.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix semolina, yogurt, salt and water. Set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter and cumin seeds change color, add in chopped onions, grated ginger, grated carrots and green peas and stir.
- Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Let this cook for a couple of minutes and remove from heat.
- Add this mixture to the semolina batter and mix well.
- Check the consistency of the batter. Add little water if the batter is too thick.
- Add baking soda and stir.
- Transfer the batter to a greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan.
- Slice the semolina cake and serve with green chutney.
- There is no need to roast the semolina before using it in the recipe.
- For serving the cake with a tangy chutney, check out the green chutney recipe.