Broken wheat pongal is a healthy South Indian cracked wheat recipe. Ven pongal / khara pongal is a popular South Indian breakfast dish prepared with rice. Cracked wheat pongal is a very tasty preparation and tastes just like rice pongal. This healthy pongal can be had for breakfast or dinner. It tastes best when served hot with sambar or chutney.
Broken Wheat Pongal | Godhuma Rava Pongal Recipe
Broken Wheat Pongal recipe
- 1 cup broken wheat / dalia / godhuma rava
- 1/2 cup yellow moong dal / pasi paruppu
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp whole black pepper
- A few cashew nuts
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- A few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Dry roast broken wheat for a few minutes till you get a slight aroma.
- In a pressure cooker, add broken wheat and moong dal along with 3.5 cups of water and salt.
- Cook this for about 3 to 4 whistles.
- In a pan heat ghee. Add cumin seeds.
- When cumin crackles, add black pepper, ginger and curry leaves.
- Then add the cashews and fry till they turn golden brown.
- Add this seasoning to the broken wheat and dal mixture and mix well.
- Serve broken wheat pongal hot with sambar or chutney.