Cracked wheat vegetable upma / dalia upma recipe – a simple and healthy savory breakfast made using cracked wheat / broken wheat and vegetables. I love to prepare this cracked wheat upma as an alternative to the usual semolina upma. Cracked wheat also known as godhuma rava / samba rava in Tamil is very healthy and I love to make this easy and delicious upma.
Cracked wheat is made by crushing down the whole wheat kernels into smaller bits, including the outer portions, bran and germ of the wheat. So they are very nutritious and have all the health benefits of wheat including some other additional benefits.
They are a great source of dietary fiber and hence help in maintaining the digestive system. They are rich in iron and have no saturated fat or cholesterol.
Cracked wheat get cooked fast and are a great option for a quick and healthy breakfast to start off the day. Another cracked wheat dish that I usually prepare is cracked wheat pongal. Coming to this recipe, the vegetables make a healthy colorful addition to this nutty cracked wheat vegetable upma.
- 1 cup cracked wheat / broken wheat / wheat rava
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup green peas fresh or frozen
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 1 small tomato
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 2 green chillies
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp oil
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Finely chop onion, ginger and tomato. Slit the green chillies lengthwise.
- Dry roast the cracked wheat in a pan till you get a good aroma and transfer it to a bowl.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add chopped onions and slit green chillies.
- Saute till the onions turn light brown.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes, chopped carrots and green peas.
- Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Let this cook for 2 minutes. Then add water and let it come to a boil.
- Once water comes to a boil, add in the roasted cracked wheat and stir well.
- Cover and cook the cracked wheat on medium low flame stirring occasionally till the cracked wheat is cooked and all the water has been absorbed.
- Once all the water has dried up, remove from heat and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Cracked wheat vegetable upma is ready to be served.