Dahi poha / thayir aval recipe – a simple and refreshing recipe of flattened rice / beaten rice with seasoned creamy yogurt. This recipe is very easy and is almost similar to the preparation of curd rice.
Dahi poha is one of my favorite recipes for hot summer days as poha doesn’t require much cooking time and yogurt is very cooling.
Its a very quick recipe where you just have to season the curd and mix in the poha. I have added pomegranate seeds which give a lovely color and flavor to this dish.
Dahi Poha | Thayir Aval | Flattened Rice with Yogurt Recipe
- 1 cup poha / aval / flattened rice
- 2.5 cups yogurt / curd / dahi
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- A few curry leaves
- 3 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- If using the thin variety of poha, as I have used here, rinse the poha under running water. Drain the water and set the poha aside for 5-7 minutes.
- If the thick variety of poha is being used, you need to wash the poha and soak it in water for around 10 minutes.
- Chop green chillies.
- Meanwhile add salt to curd and beat till it turns smooth.
- Add the poha to this curd and mix well. Keep this aside for around 10 minutes to let the poha to soak in the curd.
- For the tempering, heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seed splutter, add cumin seeds.
- Once cumin seeds crackle, add curry leaves, grated ginger and green chilies.
- Sauté for a few seconds and remove from heat.
- Add the seasoning to the prepared poha curd mixture and mix well.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
- Dahi poha is ready to be served.
Serve dahi poha at once or you could serve it chilled.