One breakfast dish that can be prepared very quickly is the vermicelli upma. Instead of this usual upma, I decided to make vermicelli with a biryani flavor to it.
This is also a very tasty and easy dish to prepare. Have it for breakfast or as a snack. You don’t need any side dish for this.
You could use readymade store bought roasted vermicelli that is available. If not, you need to dry roast it in a pan before preparing this dish. The vegetables I have used are beans and carrots. You could add peas and potatoes also, if preferred.
Vermicelli Biryani | Semiya Biryani Recipe
Vermicelli Biryani – Semiya Biryani recipe
- 1 cup roasted vermicelli
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cardamoms
- A few coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp mint leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 cup chopped vegetables ( beans, carrot )
- Salt to taste
- Slice the onion and chop the tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, cardamoms, fennel seeds and saute.
- Add the sliced onions, slit green chillies and ginger-garlic paste and fry till the onions turns translucent.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes along with the chopped vegetables.
- Add coriander powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Fry for a few minutes and add 2 cups of water.
- When the water starts boiling, add the roasted vermicelli and let this cook till the water dries out.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.