I was wondering what to make with the bright orange carrots that were sitting on the counter. Could I make a carrot salad or the popular sweet dish carrot halwa. Then finally I settled on this carrot thogayal. This is a simple dish that can be served with rice. It goes very well as a side dish for rasam rice.
Carrot Thogayal | Carrot Thuvaiyal Recipe
Carrot Thogayal recipe
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp urad dal
- Marble-sized tamarind
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add dry red chillies, asafoetida, chana dal and urad dal.
- Once dal turn brown, remove and keep this aside.
- In the same pan, add the grated carrots and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add the fried dals along with chopped coriander leaves and tamarind. Grind them till smooth.
- Serve carrot thogayal with rice.