Dosas and idlis are traditional breakfast or tiffin items in South India. The most common chutney that is served with dosa or idli is the coconut chutney. For a change, you could serve this tasty and tangy pudina chutney. This is a chutney made without coconut. Instead it has onions and tomatoes. Do try this easy pudina chutney as a side dish for idli or dosa.
Pudina Chutney / Mint Chutney Recipe
- 1 bunch pudina / mint leaves
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 2 dry red chillies
- marble sized tamarind
- Salt to taste
- Chop onions and tomatoes.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan. Add urad dal and dry red chillies and fry till they turn brown.
- Add the chopped onions and fry till they turn transparent.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and fry till raw smell goes.
- Add the mint leaves and tamarind and fry till it wilts.
- Cool and grind this mixture with salt and little water.
- Transfer to a serving dish.
- Serve pudina chutney with dosa or idli.