Tomato chutney is one of the easiest chutney recipes and can be prepared very quickly. It does not require any grinding and goes well with dosas, idlis, chappatis and even curd rice.
Tomatoes are known to contain lycopene which is an antioxidant and this is one of the health benefits of eating tomatoes.
Tomato Chutney (Thakkali Chutney/ Tamatar Chutney) Recipe
Tomato Chutney recipe
- 1 large onion
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp urad dal
- A few curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Chop the onions and tomatoes finely.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the hing, urad dal and curry leaves.
- When the dal becomes brown, add the chopped onions.
- Fry the onions till they become translucent.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes along with salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Fry the tomatoes until they become mashed and the raw smell goes away.
- Add a little water while frying.
- Once the tomatoes get done, remove from heat.
- Tomato chutney is ready to be served.