Tomato mint chutney recipe is a flavorful Indian style chutney using fresh mint leaves and tomatoes.
I love fresh herbs and mint leaves are so aromatic that they bring lots of flavor to any dish.
A bunch of fresh mint leaves and tomatoes come together in this tangy chutney and this is a perfect side dish for idli and dosa.
Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants. Mint is rich in vitamin A and dietary fiber. This chutney has no coconut in it while another mint based chutney that I usually prepare is mint coconut chutney that is flavored with coconut.
If you have a bunch of fresh mint leaves do try this simple and easy tomato mint chutney.
Thakkali Pudina Chutney | Tomato Mint Chutney Recipe
Tomato Mint Chutney | Thakkali Pudina Chutney recipe
- 1 bunch mint ( pudina leaves )
- 1 large tomato
- 2 tsp urad dal ( skinned black gram dal / ulutham paruppu )
- 2 dry red chillies
- Tamarind, small marble-sized
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp oil
- Pick the mint leaves. Wash them thoroughly and set aside. Roughly chop tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add dry red chillies and urad dal. Fry till dal turns golden brown.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes. Let the tomatoes cook till they turn soft and pulpy. Keep frying the tomatoes till the moisture content reduces and it becomes almost dry.
- Now add the washed mint leaves along with tamarind. Fry the mint leaves for around a minute till they shrink in volume.
- Remove from heat and set aide to cool. Once it cools down, add salt and blend the mint-tomato mixture into a paste adding little water if needed.
- For tempering, heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and asafoetida. When mustard seeds splutter, switch off the flame. Add the seasoning to the prepared chutney and mix well.
- Tomato mint chutney is ready to be served.